Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Creamy Black Bean Soup

I love this soup. It has wonderful flavor and natural sweetness from the onions and other vegetables that go into it - and it is completely healthy!  I like to freeze individual portions and heat them up for lunch later.  I've eaten it over lettuce with salsa or guacamole.  It also is great served on warm tortillas (here is my favorite homemade tortilla recipe).


This recipe is from a "Got Milk?" ad, but I couldn't find it online so I will just type the original here. I will say I think the recipe has a typo because YOU MUST USE WATER to cover and bring to a boil (I add about 3/4 cup chicken broth). I then use only 1/2 cup milk at the end because I don't like the soup too runny.  I also like adding 1/2-3/4 tsp. cumin and prefer sweet onions to white onions.  Here's the original recipe:

1 can black beans without the juice (16 oz)
1 cup fat free or lowfat milk
2 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 T white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup red or green pepper
1/4 cup chopped carrots
2 T chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium size pot, heat the olive oil at medium temperature, add the garlic and the onion and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for 3-5 more minutes.  Add the beans and condiments (salt and pepper); mix, cover and bring to a boil.  Boil for about 10 minutes.  Blend the mix in a blender/mixer and pour back into the pot.  Add the milk and heat for a few minutes without bringing to a boil.

If desired, serve with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, avocado, chopped hot peppers, cilantro and hot corn tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment